2014 Old World Christmas Festivities at The Osthoff Resort
Oct 14, 2014 09:00AM
● By Julie Henning
Held in a tent the size of a football field, beyond the shopping, the event features authentic German food (Nüremberg bratwurst, hot glühwein, sauerbraten, dumplings, wiener schnitzel, potato pancakes, red cabbage, pulled pork and apple strudel) and opportunities for the kids to meet with Father Christmas.Winter wonderland or not, December is a breathtaking time to visit Wisconsin's Kettle Moraine region and appreciate the beauty of Eklhart Lake. If your visit extends beyond a day trip, consider making a lodging reservation at the AAA Four Diamond resort. With an indoor pool and impressive arcade/game room for kids of all ages, The Osthoff Resort has also planned special Christmas workshops and yuletide events, such a St. Nicholas Brunch with live reindeer, breakfast with Santa Claus, and horse-drawn hay wagon rides.
If you go during the 2014 Old World Christmas Market, you'll want to know that it is open daily from 10 AM - 5 PM and runs December 5 - 14, 2014. Admission is $6 per adult, children 14 and under are complimentary with an adult ticket holder. Check the resort website and Facebook page for details on the other (special) holiday events, including the ones listed below.
The resort offers a holiday package during the run of the Christmas Market that includes a one-night stay and two tickets to the Market with rates starting at $149 plus tax (premium rates on weekends apply). For reservations, call 800.876.3399 or book online at www.Osthoff.com.
Other Holiday Doings
- French Christmas Cooking School Course: For home chefs who love preparing a special menu for the holidays, the resort’s cooking school L’ecole de la Maison has a one-day course on December 6 themed to French Christmas. For details, go to www.CookingSchoolAtOsthoff.com or call 888.789.2811.
- St. Nicholas Reindeer Buffet, December 7 and 14: Join St. Nicholas for a special holiday brunch given in his honor and meet one of his trusty reindeer (yes, a real live reindeer!).
- Children's Holiday Workshops and Holiday Hayrides, December 6, 13 and 20: Children will enjoy making their own Christmas ornament, decorating Christmas cookies, being read a traditional Christmas story by Mrs. Claus, and singing Christmas carols while taking a horse-drawn haywagon ride through the village.
- Breakfast with Santa, December 6, 13 and 20: A knee-high breakfast buffet, Christmas caroling and a special gift from Santa Claus.
- Christmas at The Osthoff Resort, December 24 and 25: Christmas Eve Day offers resort guests horse-drawn haywagon rides, hot cocoa and cookies, and Christmas caroling. Youngsters will wake up Christmas Day morning to find a stocking full of goodies. The sumptuous Christmas Day Brunch Buffet is a wonderful time spent in the company of family and friends.